Cannot configure BD-1000 bridge with app

Hello, I am trying to configure a Bond BD1000 bridge and cannot seem to get it to go through the setup.

The app kept crashing every time I tried to connect to it during initial setup. I moved to a pc and was able to reach the web UI through the following IP: 192.168.100.1

From there, I was able to select my access point and connect to wifi by providing the network details. The ring is solid blue. The Web UI now says “If you have never setup this BOND on your account before, please contact Customer Support to link this BOND to your BOND account”

I’ve reached out to support but they don’t want to help cause I’m outside of the warranty period…
I’m really trying to avoid this hardware becoming e-waste and assumed Bond would at least try to help if I showed some initiative. The customer service rep doesn’t seem to care much unfortunately…

Does anyone here have any guidance on how I can setup this device? Its V1 hardware since the SN begins with BD and not ZZ.

Thanks!
PXSS

Indeed we’ve had some trouble recently with the apps and some of the early V1 units if they have been reset to factory firmware. It is on our backlog to investigate as our official policy is that we still support a full reset of any product we’ve ever shipped to be set up with the app. (Although in the case of the Gen1 hardware we do not have firmware updates anymore after a certain version.)

If you can get the firmware updated to v2, you could PATCH the “account_code” and “nonce” fields of the “token” endpoint.

I know that’s not very helpful and you’d expect more from an official response but I’m just trying to be helpful.

Hey @Pxss – you have a lot of good details, and indeed initiative.
I recently had a Bond Bridge, though it was V2, have a lot of issues with a particular (beta) firmware update process.
Something (which the Bond staff suggested) that helped in the end was a Green Reset.

That got me to thinking –
a) have you tried a green reset and then a setup in the app?
b) if you have any Android device laying around, perhaps an older version of the Bond app, or even the very old original one, could be installed, via APK, long enough to get a successful setup and firmware update?

3 Likes

This is helpful! Thank you both.

@residualimages, I do not I have an android device available, but got a friend to finally come over and help with his android phone.

@merck, I appreciate the response nonetheless. I dont need anything fancy. My goal is to get 3 remote controlled fans into Home assistant, and if I can save this bond bridge from the landfill, that’s a double win.

Update: we got an older Bond Home app installed on his phone and he was able to connect to it with the Bond Home app, it says “update available” after connecting prompting me to update but now the issue is that it is showing the current version as “V1.109.5” and the latest version as “–”. When we hit “Update” at the bottom, the next screen has the heading “Firmware Update” and the message below:
“There was a communication issue (error -1)
something went wrong, please try again.”

The only option at this point is to hit the backwards arrow, but trying again yields the same result…

Trying to use the original app Bond Bridge App V1.150.0 now.
The app wont even log in. The error that pops up is the following:
“Error
could not contact the server. Please make sure your mobile device is on a real wifi or mobile data connection (and not connected to the bond config wifi)”

We made sure we were in fact connected to our home wifi and not the bond bridge config wifi. also tried it with wifi off and just running on cellular connection (5g). The servers for the old original app are likely down by now :frowning:

@merck – I know this is an edge case, but wondering if you have time and are willing to brainstorm if there is any path you can think of on old ! 1.1xx.x ! firmware to get to the lowest base 2.x.x firmware…
Trying to think back to 1.1.x days and having trouble remembering what was even available in web config or anything outside of the apps.

1 Like

web config is pretty bare, once I manage to add it to the wifi by connecting to it and adding in my wifi info, the next screen is this:

No options to do anything, I wonder if there is an address that I can access config options within, aka 192.168.100.1/config or something along those lines

1 Like

I see the api V2 mentions curl commands to retrieve version and such. Would FW1.109.0 support curl commands? Any way I can load the FW2.X.X locally?

I remember the original 2.x.x were private invite firmwares that the Bond team pushed, hence me asking Chris Merck if he had time and ability to look into something like that. (Edit for clarity: Later developments made this automatic / v2 became public firmware rather than beta – but that doesn’t seem to be functioning nicely in your scenario.)

Once you’re on some version of V2, then the world is your oyster up to the point that Gen 1 hardware got V2 updates – you can even directly upgrade the firmware to known hashes.

I do have a friend that has one of my old BD serial / Gen 1 hardware units. I’m curious if he will let me take it back for a bit to factory reset and see if I can sniff out any firmware hashes if it can successfully update.
I do hesitate if there isn’t a known recent success of v1 → v2 updates though, since I’d hate to hand him back a hamstrung device which cannot restore a (v2) backup… :sweat_smile:

Found an older thread where a previous Bond staff member was trying to help folks go from v1 to v2.
The solution there was using app version 2.14.1.
I think the lowest APK installer for Android I’ve found still available so far is 2.15.1.
Do you know what “older Bond Home app” version was installed on your friend’s Android device?

If you ever get to that point, I will personally pay for you to ship that device to me (and a little extra thrown in for your time) to see if any combination of things I can try yield success. Hopefully some success will manifest soon, though – I admire your tenacity!

1 Like

It should be possible to use even an un-opened Bond Bridge from the first ever production batches in 2017, but you will need to use the Bond Home app not the legacy “Bond Bridge” app.

We did have a problem for a few weeks with this migration but it has since been fixed. Let us know!

2 Likes

@merck tried again today with my iPhone given your comments of the app being fixed and it worked as expected! The app did not crash when connecting to the bond bridge and prompted for an update, this time with an actual version displayed in the latest version field (2.17.4.3). Update process completed without a hitch and I was able to finally connect to wifi and add the bond bridge to my account.

Unsure why this didn’t work yesterday with my friends android (he has a fold phone but I’m unsure of which one exactly).

@residualimages we tried with the oldest version that showed up in the link you had first provided and when that didn’t work, we updated to the latest version (which I think was 2.50.0 but am unsure) and had the same results, so I assume something about the android app isn’t able to properly pull the latest firmware available from the bond servers as the iPhone app today (version 2.50.0) was able to pull it just fine.

Now I can finally start playing with automations! :smiling_imp:

Thank you both for your support and we can say that we were successful in preventing e-waste!

2 Likes

@merck I see that there exists a later beta firmware version (3.3.13beta). If I update to that, is there a relatively easy way to return to the stable release if something becomes wonky?

Are there any cool features that I will be missing out on by remaining in the stable branch? I’ll likely stay on that for a while to get to know the product better and ensure I can do basic things first.

I was thrilled to see the update earlier that the v1 → v2 migration was fixed on the back end.

Meanwhile, I’ll answer in case Merck is delayed getting back to this thread – changing from beta to stable is just the in-app switch and is (normally) non-destructive. See me also being initially cautious here: Mobile Apps v2.32.0 and Beta Firmware Channel.

Now that you’re on v2, you can do backups and restores, so “playing around” is much more safe!

The Bond team tries to let us in the community know about beta features with posts about new versions.
Since you’ve got a Gen 1 Bridge, 3.3.13 beta is the last one you can get.
You get Groups features and a few other improvements and fixes (the first link shows that despite the second link stating it isn’t for 1st gens, it did eventually get there in beta).

1 Like

Thanks! Time to start tinkering I guess!
I’ll lurk around the forums and see what I can learn before opening new topics/questions.

Thanks for your help again!

1 Like

Sadly we are unable to continue to release new FW for these early “snowbird” units. So not a lot of cool features. But we are committed to continue to support them on the app and backend now 7 years later.

Glad to hear that you got up and running.

1 Like