Skytech SR1001 Remote ON/OFF Question

:::Begin Edit::: I came across another post about this question. However, I’m not familiar with HTTP API. Is there a way someone can help me with adjusting the delay for my fireplace? :::End Edit:::

I just purchased the Bond and got it set up. I’ve connected it with my gas fireplace, which is a Skytech SR1001 remote. Setup was simple and it connected immediately to teh remote. And it mostly works.

I say mostly because the Skytech SR1001 remote requires you to hold or repeatedly press the ON button to get the flames to their max, or hold or repeatedly press the OFF button to turn off the fire. Because of this, the same is true on the Bond app. So if you press the ON button, for example, the knob at the fireplace will be turned slightly, but not all the way to the ON position. It takes about 3 or 4 presses before the flames come up, and about 6 total presses before the switch is turned all the way to the ON position. The same is true with OFF.

And as far as integrating with Google, it doesn’t work. In the Google Home app it has it like a switch that can be either set to ON or OFF, and essentially equals 1 press of the button. So if the fire is fully OFF, and you press ON in the Google app (or you give the voice command to Google to turn ON), it’s like pressing the button once and slightly turning the knob. And so depending on which setting your in and what command you’re giving it, it’s essentially not doing anything.

So my question is this. Is there currently a workaround to resolve this? If not, is Bond going to add a workaround to address something like this? For example, a custom command feature. Like a ‘custom ON’ and it would equal pressing the ON button 6 times. And also having this custom feature integrate with Google.

I really like the idea of the Bond. But the biggest draw for me was the integration with Google and the ability to give Google a command to turn ON/OFF the fireplace. So at this point I’m reconsidering keeping the Bond, simply because having the remote on my phone doesn’t really justify the price.

Just so I understand correctly, if you ask Google several times to turn ON, does it eventually get to the full on state?

It does sound like a useful feature to allow editing the command details. Then you could increase the reps from the app without using the API. We’ll put it on the roadmap, but it may be difficult to make a friendly UI :thinking:

Yes, if I ask Google several times to turn ON (or OFF) it will eventually turn the knob completely to ON or OFF. Are you able to give a walk through guide to someone not very familiar with API stuff on how to go in and adjust the delay so this will work?

I’ve been going between the API document y’all have online and your Increasing Repetitions youtube video. Kept getting 401 unathorized errors when I tried doing the string you were doing on the youtube video but saw on the document the below format and tried that and had success. I can get all the way down to signal and see the on rep is set to 40. Here is the format I used to get to that:
curl -H “BOND-Token: device ID” -i http://IP Address/v2/devices/6e4d53d9/commands/6e61c8ee/signal

I then tried the patch you do in the youtube video and I chose 75 as a test number, however, I keep getting the following error message:

{"_error_id":23,"_error_msg":“json parse error”}
curl: (3) [globbing] unmatched close brace/bracket in column 3

I haven’t the slightest clue what I’m doing, so I don’t know what that means. Would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me what to try instead. Thanks.

: EDIT : Here is the total string…

curl -H “BOND-Token: 83bceab51941b07f” -i http://IP Address/v2/devices/Device ID/commands/6e61c8ee/signal -X PATCH -d ‘{“reps”: 75}’
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Content-Length: 50
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8

{"_error_id":23,"_error_msg":“json parse error”}
curl: (3) [globbing] unmatched close brace/bracket in column 3

You’re almost there!

I suspect the problem is the curly quotation marks after -d.

Try this at the end instead: -d "{\"reps\": 75}"

There we’ve “escaped” the double-quotes, which may play better with the windows terminal.

You may need to copy-paste the above, rather than typing it, because your computer may automatically convert the quotes into the curly ones.

1 Like

That was it! Awesome, thank you so much!

1 Like

Props to you for reading through the docs and learning to use the API!