Setting a schedule

I’d like to create an Alexa routine with my 2 ceiling fan lights which are successfully linked to my Bond device based on the day of the week only. Setting a schedule like this seems impossible because I must specify a certain time before proceeding any further, the routine I propose will be as such:
“Alexa, good night”
Ceiling fan light A illuminates on Sun-Tues-Thurs and ceiling fan light B extinguishes (if already on)
On Mon-Wed-Fri-Sat ceiling fan B light illuminates and ceiling fan light A extinguishes (if already on).
Essentially I’d like these lights to alternate their state of operation based upon the day of the week and not by the time of day.
TIA!

Hey @kalanikaau!

I’m one of the mobile developers and will try to help you.

Have you tried to do it using the Bond Schedules?

One of the ways to add a schedule is by opening the device screen (the one you use to control it), tap the calendar icon on the upper right, and then, on the “Schedules List” screen, tap the “Add schedule” button if you don’t have any schedule set, or the + icon on the upper right if you have a schedule set already.
Another way to do it is by tapping “Schedules” on the Settings (Android - Hamburger menu (lower left icon on the dashboard) | iOS - Settings tab on the dashboard), where you can see a list of all devices schedules.

We also have this article on the FAQ that can help if you have any doubts or questions on how to add a schedule.

PS.: It is good to mention that the Bond Schedules is still in BETA. Please let us know if you face any issues.

Hope it helps!
Best

Hello, and Thanks for your response.

Yes, I’ve indeed gone to my Android app in an attempt to set a schedule based SOLEY by the day of the week, it was here where I discovered that it is impossible to set a “when” input without setting the time of day first, I don’t want to set the schedule based by time, but rather by the day of the week. Logic dictates that I came upon this information just by virtue of attempting to set a schedule via the app, do you not agree?

This is actually the third time I am mentioning what I want to accomplish in this string of emails and have accepted the fact that it cannot be done via the app as it stands now, I have since moved on with my life.

Regards,

Jeff Lee

Hey Jeff - sounds like you just want a “macro” which lives in the BOND Bridge that sends a power toggle command to each of fan A and B upon telling Alexa a routine phrase / word / name.

I admit I’m less familiar with Alexa integrations, but can you have one phrase do a series of commands?
If so… I wonder if we could fake what you want by raw recording 2 new ceiling fans in BOND (bypassing database lookup).
We’d only record the power toggle button for each fan with the original remote, setting the device in BOND to NOT trust state, and then have your Alexa routine send a power on / off / toggle (it wouldn’t matter?) to both of these new devices whenever you say the code word / phrase / name.

Now, if you have trust state turned on in your existing “real” fan devices in BOND, that’ll likely get them out of sync. So it may require some decisions and adjustments to those as well (i.e., don’t have BOND trust state on any of the devices).

If you have any other home control / smart home hubs such as SmartThings or ISY or HA or others, we might have more options.

Hi Jeff.

I’m really sorry, I misunderstood the first post!
I assumed that you didn’t know about the Bond app schedules and were trying to do it with Alexa, and this is the reason you needed to fire it using the “Alexa, good night”.
And when you said “Setting a schedule like this seems impossible because I must specify a certain time”, I thought you were talking about Alexa too, not about the Bond app.

I tried to achieve what you want using Alexa, but, unfortunately, I’m only able to have one Custom action for each routine, so one routine can do only part of what you want to achieve.

I could achieve the “Ceiling fan light A illuminates on Sun-Tues-Thurs” with the steps below:
(I’m using an iPhone, so some steps may be a bit different.)

1. Open Amazon Alexa app and start to create a new Routine (More > Routines > +)
  2. Add the routine name and the trigger (When this happens) as you prefer (for example Voice > good night)
  3. Add an Action
    3.1. Select Custom (last one on the list)
    3.2. Type: “Turn Ceiling fan A light on if today is Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday”
  4. Hit “Save” and select the device to respond

I tested a lot of other phrases trying to make cover more of your needs with only one action but wasn’t successful.
I know that using more than one routine is not the best solution, but maybe it is what Alexa allows right now.

Like @residualimages mentioned, maybe using HomeAssistant, Node Red or other could be a way to get better results.

Hello and Thanks for your comprehensive response,

Now that we are on the same page I will try what you outlined.

The 2 ceiling fans are located in a semi-enclosed patio and would like to illuminate the fan lights alternately for security reasons.

Your tenacity and dedication to customer service is exemplary. I was about to give up.

The product is excellent and the app is very intuitive, setup was very easy

I will be buying another Bond device for a family member, they have 10 ceiling fans on their property, I well expect the device to function as flawlessly as mine does.

Regards,

Jeff Lee

1 Like

Aloha Matt,
Endy Silveira from Bond support emailed me the following to try:
“1. Open Amazon Alexa app and start to create a new Routine (More > Routines > +)
2. Add the routine name and the trigger (When this happens) as you prefer (for example Voice > good night)
3. Add an Action
3.1. Select Custom (last one on the list)
3.2. Type: “Turn Ceiling fan A light on if today is Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday”
4. Hit “Save” and select the device to respond”
It appeared as though it may work, but it does not.
What is strange in programming this routine is that I’ve already assigned a trigger and added a custom action as noted above, yet the action reads" Alexa, turn on west ceiling fan light if today is Monday, Wednesday or Friday" suggesting that it is a trigger instead of an action. When I entered the text, I did not enter the “Alexa” part, the app automatically did so by itself.
Weird…

Hi Endy,
The procedure you outlined looked as though it may work, but it does not.
I added a custom action as noted, the text reads: “turn on west ceiling fan light if today is Monday, Wednesday or Friday”, yet in the routine itself the action reads: “Alexa, turn on west ceiling fan if today is Monday, Wednesday or Friday”.
The app automatically added the word “Alexa”, I did not, this suggests that it is another trigger rather than an action.
Thanks for delving into the subject on my behalf, but it appears that this is an Alexa anomaly.

2 Likes