Mobile Apps v2.12.0 — Somfy shades and better bridge support

Whenever we release a beta version it is through Crashlytics/Fabric with links posted in the forum. Latest as of today is: https://forum.bondhome.io/t/ios-v2-14-1-beta1-android-v2-14-2-beta1/882

Ok,

I grabbed the file from Crashlytics (version 2.14.2-beta1) but soon afterwards Google Play asks me to update the same file with the version from the Playstore. I’m in the Beta on the Playstore, so I’m getting the same version (2.14.2 … See screenshot below). Now if I update that, Crashlytics says hey there fella, you need to update this app. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

I’d prefer to use the beta delivery via Play Services, but I’m down to do whatever you all want. Just want to share the infinite loop I’ve been in the past few updates :wink:

The Play Store is in “beta” only because the app is not fully released. We are working on Widget support to fully release it. So that version is the “release” version.
The Fabric Crashlytics one is the actual beta, which points to the beta firmwares.
Other then that, at this moment, they are the same. Until we release a new beta version.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Got it.
Once the beta moves ahead the versions will vary again and I won’t get multiple prompts to update in a loop, correct?

You can just use the one from Crashlytics and don’t worry about the Play Store one. Since the beta will always be the same version as the store or newer.

Got it, whenever they are the same the Playstore will ask to update there. I’ll need to disable autoupdates then

2 Likes

some feedback for @jacob on v2.8.1 - no issues so far with losing connectivity to either of my 2 blinds, so that’s all good.

One minor issue: I’ve noticed that if I instruct each individual blind to open to favorite position, they both open to the correct spot (which is open by about 4 feet). However, if I instruct both, jointly, to open to favorite, they both move to (seemingly) completely arbitrary positions - one of them opens about 2 feet, and the other about 8 inches. If I repeat the command, they both then open to the correct spot.

Not a deal-breaker, obviously, just wanted to report it somewhere.

I’m using Google assistant for this, I haven’t (and am not in a position to) try via the app just yet

thanks

How do you do that? Do you use a Google Home scene or room? Or did you set up a third shade that is paired with both (like is often done with the hand-held remotes)?

Correct, I set up a third virtual shade in the Bond app that replicates what happens when my Somfy remote has all channels selected. Edited to try to reply directly to your post

Ok, that should work. I wonder, however, whether Google is actually requesting that all three shades get set to favorite position all at the same time. That could cause all hell to break loose, as you describe :wink:

EDIT: “all hell break loose” = [assuming that the “all blinds” gets requested first] then all blinds start moving, then one of them gets the “my” signal causing it to stop, then the other gets it’s “my” signal causing it to stop also. Resulting in EXACTLY what you describe!

Two things you can try, Mark:

(A) Try renaming “All Blinds” to “Super Blind”, and see if you get the desired result with “set Super Blind to favorite position”

(B) You could try removing (from Google Home at least) the “All Blinds” device, and then see if Google Home is smart enough to respond to “set all my blinds to favorite position” by sending Close actions to each of the Bond-controlled shades. (Granted, that is less sexy, as the shades will not be synchronized in their movements!)

@Mahhhky: We did some more testing in the office this morning with multiple shades. The issue indeed appears to be that Google Home sends a “My” request for every shade when you ask “set all my shades to favorite position”, not just the “all my shades” device.

So, I recommend you do two things:

1. rename “all blinds” to “super blind”

and

1. avoid asking “set all blinds to favorite position”. You may also want to avoid using “set all blinds …” for open/close actions too, as it may have unexpected results.

Thanks so much for looking into this. I actually followed your advice initially and intended to report back that you had correctly figured out the problem. However I think I’m still seeing some glitchy behavior, and I just wanted to play various permutations out exhaustively before I come back to you, in case I’m doing this wrong.

A little more specifically, I removed my “all blinds” blind, having unpaired it first, and re-synched Google. I haven’t yet added a “super blind”. Yet Google is still reporting a third blind in addition to my 2 real ones. I’m speculating that there is still a ghost blind from an earlier setup where I didn’t unpair before removing, or I removed the blind via the app on my phone, but the app on my ipad reinstated it?

I’ll get back to you when I have some more meaningful data points, and rule out my own human error

Thanks

2 Likes

Just to update from another thread, @Mahhhky got it sorted out:

1 Like

Would you consider three momentary switches for Open, Close and My buttons? Three simple switches that must always be controlled momentarily; action only taken when button turned on will do, for added bonus, your three switches would report back, at least a second later, that their status is always in the off state.

Automations can treat simple switches as momentary (action is to turn on, turn off after a second), or create virtual switches that are momentary (action is to also turn off switch that was just turned on).

Talking to myself. I have to follow up because I know that you will be burdened with being backward compatible with the current implementation because of user revolt.

The most backward compatible way of doing this given your current implementations is that the three switches are not momentary, but are radio-button, as in any one of them are set active, report back to the other two that their status is off. If any one of them are turned off, then it sends the command to returns back to the previous state, or default to closed if the state is unknown. The current state should be reflected in the state of the switches, so if Bond knows the shades/curtains are closed, then the “Off” button will be on, if preset “My” is on, and open “On” button is on.

This way Open all by itself acts exactly like your current implementation. On to open, off to close.

If the other two switches are used, then it give preset control, and any more complex automation that uses them is unburdened by needing to implement virtual switch(es) to retain the previous state. And the current state can always be interrogated by reading the value of the switches for more complex automation state machine rules are applied.

Hi Jacob, I have 3 bluetooth blinds, is there a device that could sit in the middle and allow them to integrate with Bond Home?

I realize this is an old thread. Has there been any more discussion about creating a preset option for Somfy blinds in smart things? The preset button exist natively in the Bond app, but I am trying to do all of my control through smart things.

We currently have no plans to invest more in the SmartThings integration. — Do you know if they re-enabled the ability to have community local integrations?

You can create your own integrations that live on the hub itself and talk to local devices via network.