Help buying a new fan/ remote kit

I’m just an enthusiast, Mark. :grin:
As you’ve likely seen, I’m a bit wordy, so strap in for the reply below haha.

• I’ve got some news you won’t like, in this scenario. The universal kit is for AC motor fans, not DC motors (unfortunately, like the one you / your fiance want). Nearly any AC motor fan would be a candidate for using the universal kit - whether the fan originally came with its own receiver / remote, or if the fan was one of the ‘old-school’ pull chain styles that didn’t have a remote originally.

• This universal kit is smart in the receiver (the part that is wired to the fan in the cowl / ceiling mount). The remote is just a “dumb” one way remote that operates over RF to send commands to the receiver; the receiver is what knows what state the fan and light kit are in, and nothing from the receiver goes back to the remote.
    There’s actually a post I have that ‘complains’ about the fact that this universal kit has an LED over the fan speed button which tries to show speed 1-4, but can get out of ‘sync’ if using a smart assistant or integrations to change the speed with the receiver rather than the physical remote.
    Chris Merck (an Olibra employee) has mentioned that he has recommended future SBB kits are designed by partners without the LED (unless the remote included is two-way / more expensive and power hungry).

• Since the always-on WiFi connection is in the receiver in the ceiling, it is not a concern with the remote. What does become a concern is the wiring to the fan / light / original home wall switch. Do you want to be able to physically cut the power to the kit? Kinda defeats the purpose. Do you want to just have a label on the wall switch plate that says “use remote, don’t flip me off”? Or do you want to take the wall switch off, hard wire the line to the fan / light load(s), and have the switches be ‘useless’? The evolution of that last choice is to use smart switches in the wall that are connected only to line, neutral and ground - and programmatically integrate with the SBB kit over WiFi API to have your smart home hub of choice turn light / fan on or off.
    See this discussion.

• For any universal kit, a SBB one like this or otherwise, that you are placing in an AC fan, the recommendation I’ve heard (and used) is generally to first install using the original receiver + remote, or pull chain, and using those, set the fan to the highest speed you’ll ever want (say, speed 5 if you want full power of a 5 spd fan; alternatively, you could set it so speed 3 was the new ‘top’ speed :man_shrugging:).
    THEN you cut power at the breaker, install the universal receiver, and when you flip the circuit back on, the universal kit should be in its highest supported speed by default.
    Relatively speaking, the universal kit will now use speed 1 as 25% of the power, 2 as 50%, 3 as 75%, and 4 as 100% - relative to whatever max power state was in the fan motor when the circuit was flipped off. There is no discrete setting or command the universal kit sends to the fan to say, activate speed 1; from what I understand, it just chops the power to ~25%.

Phew! You made it to the end. Hope it helps you in your search for personal, and fiance, fan happiness :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like