I’m setting up a ‘smart home’ for the first time and the first thing we’re looking to automate is blinds, planning to purchase from selectBlinds and saw that they integrate with bond. Further, I am planning to set up a home assistant instance so I can control them fully locally with the home assistant bond integration.
Hoping someone can help answer some questions I have around selectBlinds, bond, and remote options. Just kind of want to know I’m understanding how everything works so I know what I need to purchase to get everything set up the way I want, and what limitations there may be.
- I see that selectBlinds sells a ‘select connect bridge’ - Is there any difference between the plain bond bridge? same firmware, uses same bond home Android app ?
- The selectBlinds blinds/shades apparently have a QR code on them to help with pairing - Does that require the selectConnect bridge / some selectConnect specific app to work ?
- If I do require the select connect bridge (for some reason), can I still use it to do home assistant and also use the select connect bridge for controlling other devices (like a fan I already have, something else that is RF in the future)
- Regarding remotes, it looks like selectBlinds sells a 5 channel remote for their motorized blinds. Having physical remotes is a must instead of having to use the app, but it’s not clear to me how remotes work with the bridge. I guess I’m curious about state management - Does using the physical remote to make a shade go up, would I bond bridge know the shade is now up (and I could see the state in home assistant?) Or, does this require something like the sidekick + bond bridge pro to achieve? Sidekick for Shades Gen 2 | Bond I guess for shades, state is less important since there is a separate command for up and down and automations would not be very dependent on state (if you tell it to go down and it’s already down, motor knows it’s limits and wouldn’t do anything?) Or does the bond do something clever like receive the same RF signal from remotes and can infer state that way?
- Lastly, I assume that the bond bridge acts as a local server for saving the known devices. Does that mean in order to control devices through home assistant, that I have to register the devices with the bond bridge using the bond home app? (No way to add new devices to the bridge through home assistant). But once connected, theoretically don’t need to use the bond home app?
Thanks in advance for any help and clarification!