I purchased the bond hub BD-1000 last summer to control my ceiling fan. It’s worked great since then, until I had to recently reset my home router. This, for whatever reason, made the hub non-functional. This is also the same router (Google Nest WiFi Router) that I’ve had since long before the purchase of the bond hub.
At first I just tried resetting it but that failed. Then I did 10 second pinhole press per this page and every time I reset it, I get the same behavior documented below. I also tried another method of pressing the pinhole, THEN plugging in the power cable, waiting 10 seconds.
Each time, I’m able to re-add the hub no problem, except for the following:
- I use the latest iOS app (even tried re-installing it) and wait for the ring to flash green. The app always finds it.
- I switch WiFi to the bond, configure my WiFi name and password. The bond switches to blue after a while.
- The app then tells me a sync failed after a few seconds, so I reload the app and wait for the hub to show Synced.
- Now if I try to update the firmware, I get “There was a communication issue (error 101)” or Error 105 or Error 107.
- Whenever I exit out from that prompt it shows the status of “Syncing…” for 30 or more seconds before returning to “Online” status with a green icon.
- “Name” and “Location” fields are both empty. While “Online”, tapping either one of them results in a red message at the top of the app “We couldn’t communicate with your Bond. Make sure it is powered up and connected to Wi-Fi.” The status then changes to “Unreachable”. Note that both the hub and my router are within 6 feet of each other.
- “Firmware Update” shows v.2.5.2 (1)" with the (1) indicating there’s an update. It starts, and gets a certain % along, but always fails with the dreaded “communication issue”.
- Also odd, after resetting it shows current version is 2.5.2 and the latest version is (an older) 2.28.0. Super confused by this because I thought the 10 second pinhole throwdown was supposed to reset it to its original firmware version.
I’ve tried resetting this hockey puck over a dozen times now. I’m about to chuck it out the window… please help! Maybe it’s toast? I purchased it Jun 29, 2021 from Amazon, it’s never moved from its location… maybe if it’s still under warranty they can replace it?