HomeKit on Beta!

Maybe dumb question: How do you get Beta software? I selected Beta Channel but my firmware update page shows v3.8.2 not v3.8.2-beta.

@sclodeca and @JazJonFL , you both are right, my deploy didnā€™t work as expected.

Sorry for taking so long, but you should see the v3.8.3 in the Beta Channel now

1 Like

I just updated to 3.8.3
Shades still show unresponsive in home app
I toggled the integration, HomeKit settings off and back on in the bond app. No change still unresponsive in home app.
Siri bond shortcuts still work though.
Do I need to delete the bond bridge in HomeKit via home app and start over from scratch maybe?

If it is easy to perform, try to power cycle the Bond first.
If you still face the issue, try deleting it on the Home app.
One other option is to perform a DELETE in the BHK endpoint.

Please, let me know the results.

1 Like

Power Cycle didnā€™t help. I deleted the ā€œMy Bridge Proā€ Bond bridge from Homekit via Home app. I re-added Bond Bridge from scratch into HomeKit via home app

Success! Everything is working again via homekit so far. The other good news is during the re-adding of the bridge in Homekit, it remembered the names of each shade imported so all I had to do was assign them to the correct rooms as they imported one by one.

1 Like

My louvered patio roof (configured as shade) worka in Homekit although from time to time there is a noticeable (10sec+) delay in response.

1 Like

Hey @sclodeca thanks for the report!

It may be related to another fix we just implemented on v3.8.4 and is already available in the Beta Channel.
Can you confirm that it fixes your issue?

On v3.8.4, I havenā€™t seen any issues with response time on Homekit. Shade slider and voice commands are opening/closing the roof perfectly.

3 Likes

3.8.4 is working great for me. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey @JazJonFL , @sclodeca , @hendrik42 and @Fofer ,

How is the HomeKit feature going for you? Is v3.8.4 stable?

I would like to get a bit more of feedback about the usage, the issues, and other subjectsā€¦
You can use the following link to schedule a call: https://meetings.hubspot.com/endy-silveira.

Everything is working great. All shades open and close with daily good morning and good night scenes. I can specify a single room or shade all works as expected. Very stable and responsive enough.

Ok I just scheduled a meeting for later today. (Jon S)

1 Like

v3.8.4 has been stable for me as well. I am having no issues with execution or lag when operating my louvered patio roof. I will attempt to schedule meeting subject to work calendar.

1 Like

Hi @endy,
Nice speaking with you.
Reduced total number of shades to 11 but combining and now everything working perfectly with correct status in HomeKit as well.
Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hey!

Doing some tests over the last weeks and got into some device number limitations that I would like to share with you.

With the current implementation of the HomeKit integration, we have a limit of 25 devices for it to work.

• Over 25 devices
    With more than 25 devices I couldnā€™t get the HomeKit to respond at all. This may be intermittent, but it is still not recommended.

• 12 to 25 devices
    With 12 to 25 devices, they may appear as ā€œUnavailableā€ or ā€œNo Responseā€ when opening the HomeKit app, but you can control it with no issue.

• Under 12 devices
    With 11 devices or fewer, you will see all the statuses in the Homekit and they operate as expected. @Kbhan is an example of this.

This limitation may be overcome in the future, but we canā€™t give you an estimate on it yet.
Adding ceiling fans to the HomeKit integration will be possible only after we increase this limitation.

I would like to also thank you all that scheduled a meeting with me for your time and all the valuable feedback!
All of us at Bond really appreciate it.

1 Like

@endy interesting, nice discovery and good to know!

I have 15 RollEase Acmeda shades since most windows have 2 (one sheer, one blackout)
This would explain and match my experience: ā€œappear as ā€˜Unavailableā€™ or ā€˜No Responseā€™ when opening the HomeKit app, but you can control it with no issueā€

I have 9 ceiling fans. That would put my total devices to 24

I have a few Ikea shades for glass doors, and Hunter Douglus skylight shades, but these work fine with their OEM hub and donā€™t need Bond to work thankfully.

I wonder if the new iOS 16.2 and backend HomeKit upgrades coming out in a few days will help. The major homekit upgrade specifically addresses people with a large number of devices to control.

ā€œApple has rewritten the underlying architecture of the Home app and HomeKit to be faster and more reliable.ā€

Looks like iOS 16.2 was released minutes after my last post. (just finished updating)

Good news ! After the update, ALL my shades are showing the correct status on the Home View screen.

My long complex shortcuts that include home scenes and other shortscuts run very quick with NO errors. They used to complete but Siri would always say something went wrong at the end after awhle. (even though everything worked)

After you update to 16.2, you need to make sure all Homepods, iPads, iPhones, Apple TVā€™s & Apple Watch on your network are ALL up to date with todays update.

After that, open the Home app and follow these instructions for part 2 of the update.

ā€œall you need to do is open the Home app, tap the more options button, and then tap Home Settings. Choose the Software Update menu and tap the Home Upgrade Available banner. Again, this is only available for iPhones and iPads running iOS 16.2 beta.ā€

2 Likes

Update, my complex good morning and good night combo scene/shortcuts all perform faster than ever with no Siri voiced error messages. (Loving it so far)

The over 12 device behavior seems to still apply.
The no response status on the icons shown on the home page bond controlled shade icons are back. The shades still operate fine though. If you touch one to open direct control the status is updated quickly. Scenes and shortcuts all operate correctly.

I hope apple enhances this at some point. Can I buy a second bond pro to split and lower the device count?

1 Like

Thank you a lot for all the updates!

ā€¦ Can I buy a second bond pro to split and lower the device count?

Yes, that will work!

2 Likes

I just ordered and set up a Bond Pro and then paired 13 Rollease Acmeda blinds and shades to it. Notes:

1. The remote pairing process was super easy and responsive (much faster and less error prone than the first-party hub)

2. The HomeKit pairing process does not seem to work if the Bond Bridge Pro is only connected via Ethernet and WiFi had not been configured. Once I configured WiFi, then the device appeared in the Home app

3. Control via the Home app seems really reliable, however changing the settings of any of the accessories (namely, the Room that the accessory is located in inside the Home) is incredibly glitchy. It seems like as soon as I change a deviceā€™s room, it switches to ā€œNo Responseā€. If I just sit and wait for a few minutes, sometimes they eventually shift rooms, but itā€™s also clear that sometimes when I change settings for one device, the settings will actually change for an unrelated accessory on the bridge.

Does anyone else have issues specifically with changing a deviceā€™s room or grouping?

No response will happen if you have more than 12 devices. See this post. The devices will still all respond just fine though. Itā€™s just a cosmetic glitch for the most part. (Apple bug)

The only work around would be to buy two bond pros and split the load