BOND Wifi Hotspot is still visible?

OK, we’ve just sent out another beta (for all units), v2.29.2-beta. — Based on remote tests on 2 units, we show that this can fix the ongoing (or newly introduced) connectivity instability.

Unfortunately the “89%” firmware update bug is something we don’t yet have a fix for. (We find that sometimes exactly 11 bytes go missing from the firmware update download TCP stream, and so then it never completes because the bond is waiting for those 11 bytes.) — All I can say right now is, retrying several times in a row normally makes it go through.

2.29.2 beta firmware has been stable and appears to resolve the issue. Nice work :+1:

2 Likes

@dxdc any chance you could try the latest Beta firmware and see if it resolves the original issue? :crossed_fingers:

Just had an internet outage again, the hot spot appeared during the outage, but quickly went away once the internet was restored.

Thanks @merck! I installed the new firmware. Outages happen extremely rarely but will try to check it out next time it does.

I upgraded to 2.29.2 beta firmware and the hotspot issue is now gone. I have a AJ model. However my ceiling fans are now noticeably slower to change speed, turn on, off etc. I also use my hub with Somfy shades and they are still very quick it was just the ceiling fans that are now slower. Any ideas @merck?

btw, @merck can you please provide the command either in curl or bond-cli to rollback to master / stable release for the AJ model? Just in case the slowness gets too annoying.

You should be able to roll back to Stable channel through the Bond app directly, but I think that’s for any / all Bond devices on your account.

You can change the channel from beta back to stable in the mobile app but it does not repply the firmware to the bond unit as you need the cli or curl command.

It doesn’t automatically revert the firmware. It also doesn’t show the little orange firmware-upgrade-available indicator, because the lastest stable version is behind the beta version. However, you can still drill down into the Bond settings and do a firmware update to bring it back to latest stable.

Note: I’ve also noticed the delay on my Snowbird (A/B unit). It’s definitely enough to be annoying, but perhaps less annoying than the WiFi AP issue (though I didn’t face that at my home for whatever reason). I cannot promise anything about investigation because we’ve got the Snowbird firmware on life-support… Though, I see enough complaints here that I’ll see if we can get some hours on it. Might not be hard to fix.

Can you please explain how to roll back I don’t quite follow? I don’t see anyway to do this in the mobile app or bond cli or at least i tried the bond cli with master and it errored so maybe I need a curl command?

Excellent I am glad it’s not just me then and day by day it’s getting more annoying too as it’s very noticeable. Appreciate if you and the team can look into this I am sure others would as well.

I was going to say:

Bond Home app > Settings > Firmware Channel > Stable
Bond Home app > Devices > Bond Bridge > Bond Settings > Firmware Update > Go

But… as I try it myself, I realize that it doesn’t work! It still says the v2.29.2-beta is the latest. Reason is because we pulled the stable branch from being available in the app for Snowbird because of a stream of complaints of data loss after firmware upgrade, and despite a few attempts at resolving that issue, we didn’t have a solution. Hence only the beta channel being available for the intrepid travelers like yourself.

Let me dust off the buildserver for Snowbird and get you a copy of the previous firmware and a commandline to install it. [EDIT: better yet, I’m taking a stab at actually fixing the problem… standby…]

I feel like I just opened pandora’s box for you but I do really appreciate you looking into it! :slight_smile:

Good news, v2.29.2.1-beta now available, and the delay is gone. (Or rather, back to the same delay experienced before, which is still more than Z* because it needs to load an external MCU that manages the radio over a slow serial port.)

Sorry for the regression there. (We left some debug prints enabled which delay the CPU due to a slow serial port on Snowbird. Not noticeable on Z* because the port is 16x faster there… 56kbaud vs 922kbaud…)

Once I got over Despair, Drudgery wasn’t so scary.

2 Likes

Awesome great job @merck I can confirm this has fixed it for me also :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Thank you, Jason, for taking the time to work with me on this. This kind of insightful interactions on the forums are really beneficial! Happy New Year!

3 Likes

Thanks @jchurch and @merck ! I did notice that my devices were slower too, but attributed it to my server getting overwhelmed. The firmware update fixes it for me too… happy holidays!!

3 Likes

@merck I upgraded to v3.3.8-beta and the delay has returned on my V1. Can you please push the change you made here back in?

@merck any feedback on this please? Fortunately it’s winter here atm so not annoying but come summer when the ceiling fans more it will be so I am being prepared :slight_smile: .

FYI I am considering buying a brand new Bondhome unit as well given the v1 seems to be all but dead at this point but It would be nice to get my current one working and store it away as a backup.

Sorry I didn’t reply here before, last month we re-added the speed fix for 1st-gen bridges as of v3.3.9. And we pushed v3.3.13-beta for snowbird on July 20th. – Does (did) it work?

Ok thanks @merck I will give it a shot :slight_smile: