Any thoughts on developing a BOND Remote?

Since state tracking of fan speeds, lights, heat settings etc. is a difficult challenge (understandably so) for BOND to address, and frustrating for consumers who use both the remotes that come with our devices and smart integrations such as Google, Alexa and IFTTT, has there been any thought of developing a “BOND universal remote?” For example, on a ceiling fan, instead of trying to track or read which state the light and fan speed settings are in when the user is using both the manufacturer’s remote and smart integrations through the BOND bridge, why not develop a ‘BOND Remote’ that sends the RF signal to the ceiling fan and simultaneously updates the device state in the BOND database via WiFi? This would allow consumers to still use a physical remote (in my case for my elderly mother who does not feel comfortable with apps or speaking to Google) and would allow BOND to properly track the state of the device being controlled. Then routines and automation would function properly much more consistently because BOND would always be aware of the correct device state.
Of course, this would require consumers replacing their manufacturer’s remote with a ‘BOND Remote,’ and connecting it to the BOND bridge, but I would be more than happy to do that so I could have the best of both worlds.

What we’ve done is, worked with ceiling fan manufactures to create new Smart by Bond fans which have Wi-Fi built into the fan itself, but still come with a familiar RF remote. – So the state problem is solved by design.

And, if you don’t want to change out the whole fan, there’s also a Smart by Bond retrofit kit that works for almost all AC ceiling fans, available at Home Depot:

Note that the branding isn’t shown on the store yet, but if you read the product manual you will see that it mentions setting up with the Bond Home app.

2 Likes

was happy to get the ‘back in stock’ alert earlier this week and ordered 2.

Anything for the home decorators DC fans from Home Depot?

The product I linked is only for AC fans. There is currently no DC retrofit kit, but you might reach out to the brand and let them know what you’re looking for…