2 rooms, 2 fans. Any attempt at controlling 1 controls both

So I’ve added two separate rooms with two separate fans, however whatever frequency they’re using must be very close as when I try to control one of the fans I end up controlling both. Is there a solution to this problem, other than completely replacing the receiver in one of the fans?

Thank you

Just for clarification:
Is this (undesirable) cross control evident with the OEM remote controls, or just with BOND Bridge?

Usually manufacturers have “dip switches” which can be used to adjust if one remote is controlling more devices than intended, or conversely, to allow one remote to control multiple devices.
They are usually set on both the receiver up in the ceiling fan cowl as well as on the OEM remote (typically visible in the battery compartment).

Yes, this is undesirable. I would like to have individual control over each fan.

The remotes have dip switches, I guess I’ll need to grab a ladder and see if there’s any dip switches I can flip on the fan itself. Thanks

FWIW, sometimes their are DIP switches in the receiver, other times the receivers learn the transmitter when you hold down the Power (or Learn) button on the tx within 30 sec of powering up the receiver.

1 Like

Hi, what happens if the ceiling fan only has two frequencies, but i have 3 ceiling fans (two with same frequency), can i control them separately?

FWIW, CF manufacturers often use the term “frequency” to refer to the remote’s protocol address. This is often set with DIP switches. Other times a random address is backed into the transmitter. But in every case, there’s just a single frequency for the transmitter. The frequency is determined by a quartz crystal on the transmitter circuit board… and it would be much more complicated to actually switch to a different frequency.

Also, I’ve never seen a fan with only 2 address options… that would be limiting indeed. Sometimes it’s a public/private switch. If all are set to Private mode (sometimes labeled “1”) then they can indeed be controlled independently.

Post a photo of the front/back of that remote. I’m curious now…

I’m having the same issue but don’t see dip switches. I have 6 hunter fans in the house but 2 of them turn on when I push either’s buttons on the Bond app.

They both work independently when using the remotes that came with them.

Any I idea how to fix?

That’s quite a mystery, Ron!

My immediate suggestion, which you very likely have already tried but I’d encourage you to try again is: create a new device on Bond Bridge for one of the problem fans, re-record the corresponding remote control. Now see if there is still “interference”.

Failing that, DM me your Bond ID and email address as used in Bond Home account. I’ll look up your devices configuration and see if there’s two devices sharing the same address. There’s two cases:

A. The two fan devices share the same address in the Bridge: this means that (most likely) you have two transmitters that share an address. Then I’d recommend being a bit scientific about checking for interference between the fans:

1. Label each of your 6 remote controls, if not already labeled.
  2. Take all 6 remote controls into the room with the first fan.
  3. Tap each light toggle button, one after the other. Write down which remote controls the fan.
  4. Move to the next room and repeat for each room with a fan.
  5. Check your table, and see if there’s a 1:1 correspondence, or if there’s some interference.

The hand-held transmitters often transmit quite weakly, so perhaps two of your remotes really are sharing an address and you will see that pop up in the table.

B. If all the addresses are unique, then it would seem that your fan receivers are able to remember multiple addresses in their internal lookup tables. Some can do this. Each manufacturer has a different “factory reset” procedure for the fan receiver which can allow you to blank out the mis-paired addresses, and then you can just re-pair the one transmitter corresponding to the fan.

Hope that helps. (FYI @guy )