V3.1.0-beta for Bond Bridge Pro

Are there any changes in regards to how local control works when it can’t connect to the cloud? Basically does the new v3.1.0 do this? Endy’s last comment. Bond

1 Like

Thanks so much for this reply! It made my day… I know this sort of thing is way more complicated than I most people assume. I’ll be patient but I’m excited to see what your team comes up with. I certainly appreciate it!

Personally I have four shades, two (longer) doors with two (shorter) windows on each side of them. So the shades in the “doors” group have the same course time. And the shades in the “windows” group have the same course time too. But the “right shades” and “left shades” groups do not, because the two shades in them don’t share the same length. Ideally I’ll be able to schedule automations with slider/percentage control but until then I am just playing around with groups to see what makes the most sense throughout each day. But if it works out that only shades of the same length can have the functionality I’ve requested, I’d be fine with that, too.

Thanks again for the consideration and hard work on this. After getting these Somfy blinds installed last year I’ve learned a lot and have tried the MyLink, Tahoma, and regular Bond bridge. I’m most happy with the Bond Pro though, and look forward to seeing it live up to its potential.

Making some noise for SetPosition logic - would be keen to see it roll out with my Somfy RTS blinds.

Will be downloading the beta tomorrow to have a play around with the virtual groups. Want to see if it works well to begin moving my blinds at once rather than the popcorn effect.

Especially the slider - really want to see that in the Homebridge app.

Cheers!

Just chiming in here.

Alot of my blinds have the same course time as there are usually two blinds covering a window.
Out of the 6 walls I have blinds on, only one of them (with 2 blinds) have different transit times. The other blinds have all the same course time but would just need to be virtually grouped.

will schedules be able to use groups? I can’t seem to figure out how to do this in the app.

It’s on the API, but not yet in the apps.

Does the ARC implementation support bidirectional communication? The Rollease blinds will respond to queries and arbitrarily send info when setting change, and I find these are very useful for true automation. Useful data available includes battery, signal strength, shade position, and current action. If full ARC is implemented, is this data exposed to third parties via an API?

I’ve been using the Rollease Pulse2 for years and it has never been fun. Now that mine has died I’m looking for a better solution.

No, we don’t support bidirectional communication. Our investigations so far have shown that the bidirectional mode is not reliable (but it could be a limitation of our cleverness in implementation). So, we have opted to use the uni-directional mode used by the remote controls. Automated hembar alignment for Groups on Bond Bridge Pro is an upside.

We are not ruling out bidirectional, but for now our priority is reliable one-way control of these motors.

Thanks Merck. If my goal is to detect user initiated action from an rf remote (not via Bond), then it sounds like Bond can do that by recieving the remote’s signal. The use case is that I want automation to respect user intent, such that any automation will pause if the user initiated action.

I see.

If the user uses the remote, Bond does not know. The state will not be accurate.

The solution we came up with is Bond Sidekick, a wall-mounted remote that sends to the ARC shades and also updates the Bond Bridge Pro’s state via a separate channel.

Sorry, but Bond Bridge / Bond Bridge Pro is not set up for receiving the remote’s signals to determine state changes. We’re not able to listen on every frequency at once—that is one limiting factor. So we listen on a dedicated “BondSync” frequency for signals from the Sidekicks which at least we can keep common.

EDIT:

Interesting use case. Even with Sidekick, we don’t give a good way for you to see that Sidekick was used… you could see a state change that you didn’t expect and key off of that. I wonder what sort of signal you’d need from us to do this right?

Just curious since I don’t have Shades yet but do use Sidekicks for other automations: for the Sidekicks that directly control ARC / other Shades, do they still have Keystream events to which an integration can subscribe?

you could see a state change that you didn’t expect and key off of that

This sounds like my previous solution when trying to use bidirectional from the pulse2 over ARC. I would tag all automated actions with a known time (independently for each shade). If the pulse2 recieved an update that wasn’t within a window of that tagged time, it would be considered a user action, which enables the system to act accordingly.
So you seem to be saying that third party software (homeseer in my case) can have access to this sidekick state change. Right?

The sidekick looks very much like the Rollease remotes I already have scattered throughout the house. It is smart for you to add this as an option.

Yes, you would see the state change. Right now you cannot tell why the state changed though.

:smile: Let us know if you try one out, how it works for your home.

To clarify, you’re talking about the state / properties on the shade device is where someone would see a change but not why / what changed it.

A Keystream event subscription would be the only way to see a state change (button hold started, is currently held, hold released, was tapped, was double-tapped) on a Sidekick remote, but the Keystream event does not have a “target device for direct RF command” property (for Sidekicks that are paired with a direct-control motor), right?
So it would kind of be up to a third-party home controller’s logic to know that a Keystream event from Sidekick A, which directly controls Shade Channel 1 (device or group), leads to a case where any automation(s) from the home controller affecting Shade Channel 1 should be suspended, at least for a time, per @atomike 's use case.

Did my restatement misstep anywhere, @merck ?

Hi Chris, but Bond Bridge Pro | Bond says:

Thanks for pointing that out, Alex. The BBP supports receive for interoperability with Bond Sidekick—receiving state updates when operating Sidekick channels—but it does not support bidirectional communication with any shade protocol at this time.

We will update that table to avoid anyone being misled.

1 Like

Hi Chris, can you please send me one, so I can add to HomeSeer?

1 Like

Please ask customerservice@bondhome.io, provide your mailing addr, and tell them Merck sent you. I’ll approve it on this end.

1 Like

This is very interesting, and I’m glad to learn about it. I’m using the Bond Pro bridge with Somfy shades, and remote control works well, but the state isn’t reported back. Now that HomeKit integration has been officially added, if the Sidekick is added to my network, would the updated state get reported back into HomeKit and the Home app? Or does this reporting only happen when the Sidekick itself has issued the command?

This. It does not listen for other signals or get any feedback from the motor. It just basically lets the Bridge know that it sent a signal to the motor.