Solved Garage door control

If anyone is interested I can tell you how I got the Bond to open/close (control) my garage door.

Very interested. It would allow me to get rid of one more device if I could get the bond hub to control my garage doors.

When you go into the Bond app, tap the remote control picture. Then the bond bridge icon. Scroll down to the Generic Device and tap on it. Enter the information you want in the location and device name. Hit continue. 3 icons should come up. Tap on power on (Don’t know about your MyQ system, most garage doors have only one signal for both open and close). Hold your remote to the Bond to pair it (a side note is that if you pick the Bond straight up and hold the remote to the bottom of the Bond it will pair easier and quicker). Use only the power on button to open and close the door. Hopefully this will work for you. If using Amazon Alexa, after setting up the Bond in it, to open and close the garage door say Alexa turn on the garage door. You can get into Alexa and change the phrase from turn on the garage door to open the garage door and close the garage door. Good luck. Let me know if this works for your door.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m going to give it a shot and see.

I’ll have to update a few of my scripts to handle my integration but if I can just send the command via this, it will be great.

You can also add it as a Blinds device.

This will give you “Open garage door” and “close garage door” and “stop garage door”.
I have the same signal for all 3, because my garage door works the same as mentioned above (single command for all 3 behaviors).

That’s how I have mine working on Google assistant.

An explanation for users who find that this doesn’t work for them: This only works for a subset of garage door remotes that always send the same signal. For those with a code that changes on every press (a “rolling” code), this won’t work for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the clarification.

I just gave this a shot and realized that was the case with the MyQ garage doors. Was worth a try.

1 Like

Hi Jacob, so you are saying this never happened? It’s from 2017.

https://bondhome.io/saga-rolling-codes/

No, I’m just saying that sending an unchanging signal, like @al_miller’s, will only work for a subset of garage doors.

The Bond Bridge can generate rolling codes, that’s no problem. But the only publicly-released rolling code controller for the Bond Bridge is the Somfy controller. I’ve been working on preparing our script-building library for a public release, but that’ll probably come mid-year.

Why don’t we support garage doors yet? It’s just that there are a lot of expensive hoops to jump through to start supporting them, and a few more to do it well.

@merck put it well in another garage door thread:

They require massive investment to meet consumer expectations for flawless integration into A/V and security systems… You’ll readily find other hubs that meet those needs.

Yeah, it’s from a couple weeks before I joined the company. I remember back then we made a lot of claims that we weren’t able to follow through with. We’ve changed a lot since then, and we’re definitely more conservative in our planning and estimates these days.

1 Like

@jacob Ok, thanks for the candid response. I want to say that I bought the hub and to date after about 2 years I control 1 thing with it.

MyQ was a waste of money hub for garage door controlling. Integration with their product is always about charging a fee. I’m sorry, I can’t see charging me several dollars per month so IFTTT or Alexa could open or close the garage door. When the thing stops working I’ll get standard z-wave garage control.

Great developers try to integrate MyQ into Vera (EZLO/Mios - you might have heard of them). But MyQ frequently changes their API to prevent these things. There is interest in integrating with the Vera platform with Bond. You can see here: https://community.getvera.com/search?q=bond

While you have to make money on your product to do more and integrate more there is too much IoT that is closed off. I’m just hoping soon the dozens of different products we use don’t require me to have dozens of apps. This is not a smart home and it is not automation either.

Have you heard of Imperihome? That android app allows numerous platforms in one app. It would be nice to see Bond in there too.

Thanks for litening.

2 Likes

My solution for rolling code garage door control is to buy an extra universal wall switch, and solder 2 relay wires to the circuit board / switch pegs, then use an Insteon I/O controller’s relay ports to momentarily close the circuit (or instead of the I/O Controller by itself, they have a garage door pack that additionally comes with a sensor setup for detecting open/close status), and then have short wires come out of the modified wall switch to piggyback into the opener with the real / original wall controller wires.

Pair this with my ISY controller and I’ve got what I need, including GH / Alexa integrations.

But it’s a hack, and so I will gladly retire it once a more suitable, non-subscription based and integration-friendly hub (BOND, hopefully!) supports these natively.

1 Like

I wrote an integration between the ISY and the MyQ service more than 2 years ago, and it has worked fine for me and dozens of other users ever since. However, for some it has stopped working. I don’t know how Chamberlain decides who it will work for and who they will lock out. It’s very strange.

Home automation integration in a nutshell. :joy:
But @kingwr and others, even including my little efforts, keep on fighting the good fight.

Thanks @al_miller this is what I was doing while I was writing the post. I tried my garage remote but even after replacing the batteries it didn’t open it, I only use the opener built into the rear view mirror but I don’t know why the remote itself does’t work. Oddly, when pairing the remote the Bond picked it up, turned green an added it/recognized the frequency but as the remote isn’t working neither did the Bond. I’m not sure if I can do a learn mode on the opener or Bring the bond close to the garage and the truck and try that way.

For now, the scene I have in Vera with the garage motion sensor and a delayed off will do the trick well enough for now. But sometimes our cat likes to be in the garage for around 15 minutes to go sniff around. If the delay isn’t the same time he is normally out there he’d be in the garage in the dark if he doesn’t go near the sensor. So I’m trying to have scenes and other devices make turn on the garage light which is z-wave.

Having the Bond do it was mean to trigger a routine since the device would be picked up just like my fan that Bond controls and I wouldn’t have to have another hacked method of getting one thing to work. Hope that all makes sense.

@jacob did the script-building library ever get released?

I’ve just received my bond and I would love to use it for my garage door remote as well as my blinds. The bond records my remote (the light turns green) however it doesn’t work, which I assume is likely a rolling code issue. I’d be happy using a code library or other technical means to get my remote working if that capability is exposed to me. Any tips here?

It has not, and we don’t have any active plans to support it. (Would take away from many other things people are asking for.) Still a possibility down the road.