Discrete light on/off function for MinkaAire Fan?

So this is a long-standing issue with “dumb” fans / lights. I feel your pain.

I’m also excited to have another home automation DIY integrator join us on the forums!

While I understand the “device can support more commands than the OEM remote exposes” (definitely found more codes for my LG OLED than is on either OEM remote it came with), I’m a little pessimistic about that working in this case.

If the MinkaAire receiver doesn’t have a discrete On/Off RF code it can interpret, then it doesn’t matter if the remote does or does not have the command, or if Bond could send it.
No real way to know other than the ol’ plug-and-chug; since Bond just replays RF (or IR) commands it knows or “learned” though, you’d have to find a way to generate the
various “hope this works” RF signals and hope to get lucky, then teach Bond that signal if ever you found one that works.

To get around this, what the Bond team originally offered was the ability to track state inside of the Bond system. What that means in reality is an 85-99% success rate of asking via API or voice assistant, etc a discrete “Light On” or “Light Off” command (for which Bond just sends a ‘toggle light’ command after verifying that the Bond-tracked last known state was the opposite) and getting the expected result – IF AND ONLY IF the original RF OEM remote is no longer used.
You have to commit to only using Bond app and any API-driven integrations ONLY to get any benefit out of the “trust state” feature.

How it works for me?
I use an ISY home automation controller to handle all my Bond devices whenever I am not using the Bond app. I enable trust state tracking in Bond for each device with a toggle.

Through that ISY, I can then send Light On and Light Off commands with a single tap on the Light On button or Light Off button of a in-wall or remote keypad (Insteon based in my case, although I even have a Harmony hack to allow home control buttons on those remotes to function) - a double tap on the respective Light On/Off will patch the state belief of the Bond’s tracking and then send the corresponding command to Bond again.

The double tap to PATCH Bond’s state belief is what saves me in the ~1-15% failure rate of something being delayed and therefore not actually turned On or Off as expected, or some guest finding the OEM remotes which I hide in drawers, or something else.

1 Like